My Story

An Unexpected Offer

( Part 43 )




Things in Ireland


You may remember me writing that I was selling a flat in Ireland. Imagine that the sale finally closed on 3 April 2019. We waited until 17 May for all the bank paperwork to finish the process. When I received an email confirming that the loan account for the flat had closed and that a small surplus had been paid into the account, I breathed a sigh of relief. As for the surplus, don’t imagine any large lump. There was enough to fly the dog from Ireland to Puerto Rico, and that would be it from the extra cash. But there’s nothing to complain about. At least, for so many years, we didn’t have to worry about whether no one would kick us out or whether you could live in such a flat with four children. By the rules, each child had to have his own room, so it would have been difficult in our case. Then the law changed and already children of the same sex could share a room. Anyway, we would have missed one room anyway. At least no one told me if I could hang a picture or not, and I didn’t stress if the children soiled or broke anything.




It was the first time I had encountered a flat that took almost six months to sell, from the moment we found a buyer. We were both fed up with the sale. Me in particular. It was also the first time I sold a flat in Europe, being on the other side of the world. A bit stressful to be honest, because if something suddenly would go wrong, imagine having to fly back to Ireland and finish it on the spot. I couldn’t imagine leaving the kids with my husband, who had to go to work, just to fly to Dublin, urge sale. In Ireland, everyone has time, for everything, especially the lady notary on the buyer side. She had it in excess, as you can see. Just envy, but for me there was nothing to envy at the time. I had this sale above my ears. I needed to focus on current affairs and not thinking about what was left unclosed in Ireland. On 3 April there was light at the end of the tunnel, but the final closure came on 17 May when we received an email that the loan had been paid off and the credit account closed. The important thing was that we no longer had to think about what was happening on the other side of the globe and could start life with an “empty” card. “Empty” as far as Ireland was concerned. In this country we locked the door and threw the key into the ocean, unfortunately in Poland what was left, was. 


A pleasant surprise




Days passed, the kids went to school, my husband went to work and I embraced the rest. Towards the end of the school year they held some kind of festival at Dorado where someone sang, there was a carousel for the kids and some tents with food and drinks. There was also some kind of weird car rally the other day. I don’t know what kind of event it was, but strange cars were driving around town. Generally there was something minor or major going on, so we could see something.




With the end of the school year approaching, our wedding anniversary was also approaching. We thought it would be fun to get away to New York for a few days. Do you remember Hector? I mentioned him in the post ‘Momentary Inconvenience’. This particular young man offered to take care of the kids, so we could spend this anniversary alone. I must honestly admit that I was very happy, but at the same time I was even more worried about how it would all work out, because not only was Hector, alone going to take care of four children and also a dog, but at the same time he was going to work. Admittedly only one day, but it’s always one day. For a mother like me, it’s almost like a week 😉. Let’s not forget that it was the end of the year, so the last days of school and graduation, among other things, at the library where they went for extra classes. The eldest son admittedly had a graduation on 31 May, but there were still three left.


New York


In the clouds


The day of departure for New York has arrived, and also the day of our wedding anniversary. In the morning, we drove the children to their classes and went to the airport. The flight to New York was quite short. From the airport, we took a subway to the hotel. We had our stay booked at the Edition Time Square Hotel. We got a room on a very high floor with a great view of the entire Time Square. It’s a cool feeling when all those advertisements are lit up in the evening, and you can admire it from your room. Good to have curtains in the room, because the glow of those adverts made it perpetually bright in the room at night. Life in NY really goes on all night. When we went to bed, Time Square was still full of people, you could even say more than during the day.


The view out the window from our hotel room


Imagine, too, that in New York I also met my childhood neighbour, whom I hadn’t seen since I moved out, and that was in the summer holidays when I was going into 7th grade. A very nice meeting.

To be honest, we didn’t have enough time for all these activities. We still managed to visit my husband’s former boss, who was the General Manager of The Hotel Edition, just in a slightly different location to the one we were staying in.

Just under 3 days, including arrival and departure. There will be more about the stay in another post. 




Moment for You


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *